This week I completed Goal #4: I will increase my skills within Google applications to create and utilize professional documents.
- Explore Google applications including Google sheets, forms, and docs to increase team communication and collaboration.
- Create a Google Form to collect input on current technology utilization and training needs.
- Explore Google for Education options.
I am happy to say that I accomplished the goal! To support my goal to utilize this blog as a hub for information for my fellow early childhood interventionists, I created a Google Form to survey my colleagues on areas of need.
It was fairly easy to create this document and I am looking forward to any chances to create another one!
Over this last week, I attended one of the school committee meetings, here we found out that our staff continues to make mistakes on IFSP/IEP documentations regardless of procedures set in place to edit and correct mistakes. One of the problems that continues to re-occur is that co-workers cannot work on an online tool for a particular student at the same time. If they do, they get kicked out, or all their hard work disappears. One of the solutions brought to the table was having staff warn each other that they will be working on the document. There is currently no instant messaging in place. However, Google offers Google Hangouts, this can be utilized on any computer (or phone) any time, any where, and on any network. So if Mrs. K has to work on the report and she is at a conference, she can send a Hangout message to Mr. L to tell him she will be working on it!
This makes me think that I may want to re-do my survey, instead of asking about training for solutions, we can review the problems, and then troubleshoot the technology solutions.
This is what Hangouts looks like when you just had a realization and need to tell your husband!
As far as Google for Education goes,it is pretty amazing. Without diving too far deep into it, I found out that they have come up with some great opportunities for educators. They have created an online education portal that teachers can use for courses. They also provide training and offer certifications. There is Expedition, which is a virtual field trip portal. Although eLearning may not be for all learners and educators, it is definitely an option for those who could thrive in it.
Since my Skill Set Checklist is complete, I did not post it again. Next week I will be diving into Goal #5, IntelliKeys and other alternative computer access software and programs!
Talk to you soon,
21st Century SLP
No comments:
Post a Comment