Sunday, February 7, 2016

Skills Update B: Graphics & Database


This week my goal was to work on mastering the world of graphics.  How did I get this far in my career without knowing or looking into how to create a shaped text box… this has seriously changed my life. No, I am not being sarcastic, I am truly excited.  I am also excited about being able to draw within Microsoft Word.  I used to always go into ‘paint’ if I had to draw something, who knew the squiggly line represented a drawing tool! I did not give myself enough credit for knowing how to group and layer objects.  This came to me rather easily.  I decided to create a graphic organizer for families and colleagues when working on early sound patterns: 


Due to the fact that the graphics did not take long to conquer, I decided to  to change up my Skill Set plan a little bit.  I was able to explore Microsoft Access.  I created a document that I could utilize with my current caseload (all the students receiving special ed services in my county under 3 years old)…With this document I will be able to organize/sort students based on birth date, location, local district, diagnosis, and eligibility.  By accident I learned that the data base document does not save within the database automatically, it actually merges with excel by default.  Although I am not claiming to be a master of database, I believe that I am ready to do what I need with it and I intend to put it to good use!  I am excited to see if there will be any correlations between any of their demographic information. The following is not a finished product as it will take me a bit to input my students' information, and due to confidential information, it may not be a great idea to post a finished product! 
 You can sort the data from more than one area.
 You can create different forms through Access.
 My final product will be an Excel Document.

I was reluctant and a little overwhelmed preparing for Database information, but really, it was not as bad as I thought!  It is easy to search of items when the search of records using the binocular icon. Access documents can be merged with other document formats, as already mentioned with Excel, but also PDFs.  Now that I have become more comfortable with the basic skill sets, I am thinking I may need to dive a little deeper into some other tools. 

My Skills Checklist has been updated and I am pretty confident with about 96% of the skills. 



 I will continue with my plan of attack of skills, but will need to add to it. 

Goal #4: By February 14, 2016, using Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my skills within Google applications to create and utilize professional documents.
-          Explore Google applications including Google sheets, forms, and docs to increase team communication and collaboration.  
-      Create a Google Form to collect input on current technology utilization and training needs.
-          Explore Google for Education options.

Goal #5: By February 21, 2016, using Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my skills within IntelliKeys as well as other alternative computer access programs to be determined.
-      Create & utilize IntelliKeys Software to access page/keyboard to support writing lesson.
-          Explore alternative computer access programs for preschool students.

Goal #5: By March 6, 2016, using Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my understanding of Jing and other screencast software that can be utilized to create tutorials for an educational blog.  
-      Explore available screencast software.
-          Create at least 2 screencasts for future blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment