Sunday, March 6, 2016

Technology Boot Camp Final Skills and Checklist


Original Goals & Objectives:
Goal #1: By January 31, 2016, using the Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my word processing and spread sheet skills.
-          Turn automatic formatting options off and on
-          Use indent markers to create hanging indent format, and indented quote format
-          Apply spacing and alignment with ruler options and with formatting palette and toolbar options
-          Set tabs for columns of data
-          Use tab markers and type tabbed columns of data appropriately
-          Use Leader Tabs
-          Mail Merge with a word-processed document (a table in MS Word), a spreadsheet (in MS Word), or a database
-          Use ‘Track Changes’
-          Use relative references to cells in a formula
-          Use absolute references to cells in a formula
-          Use Fill Series
Goal #2: By February 7, 2016, using the Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my knowledge of graphic skills
-          Hide and show Drawing toolbar
-          Add pages to document (AppleWorks only)
-          Create layers of objects and move objects to different layers
-          Group and ungroup objects
-          Create Text Objects for selected text (note: this is different from borders) and before text is typed.
-          Advanced: Link text boxes
Goal #3: By February 14, 2016, using the Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my knowledge of Databases Skills.
-          Search for a specific record
-          Sort records by two fields
-          Edit records
-          Add and delete records
-          Change the layout of the record
-          Add and delete fields
-          Change the format of a field (as increase decimal places in a number field)
-          Merge the file with a word processing document 
Goal #4: By February 21, 2016, using Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my skills within Google applications to create and utilize professional documents.
-          Explore Google applications including Google sheets, forms, and docs to increase team communication and collaboration.
-          Explore Google for Education options.
Goal #5: By March 6, 2016, using Atomic Learning Website, online tutorials, and hands on exploration, I will increase my skills within IntelliKeys as well as other alternative computer access programs to be determined.
-          Create & utilize IntelliKeys Software to access page/keyboard to support writing lesson.
-          Explore alternative computer access programs for preschool students.



Checklist



Reflection
Throughout the last 8 weeks, I have expanded my knowledge of educational technology. I quickly brushed up and navigated through word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, slide presentations, database, and e-mail skills.  I felt fairly comfortable going into this process and at the end I realized, I
was a little too confident.  I had forgotten much of what I had learned from my 9th grade year in high school computer class.  It has not changed too much since then, it is just about knowing where to look for short cuts, the blue circle with the question mark  in the upper right corner of Word applications has become my friend. It is interesting, I found myself easily explaining how to go about completing the skill sets, but struggled to produce a product to demonstrate my skills.  

I completed the original checklist with 96% accomplished at the advanced level.  I then went on to explore other technology skills.  I explored Google applications including Google Forms, Google Hangouts, and look into Google for Education.  I have experience with Google Drive, Docs, and Sheets, since they are quiet similar to Word applications and other cloud storage spaces like Dropbox, so I had to dig a little deeper.  Google Forms is so easy to use, it will definitely be my go to survey tool!   Google Hangouts has a lot of potential.  It can be used anytime, anywhere, on any device. What is great is that it goes through your email address rather than phone which is nice if you want to connect with others without providing your personal phone number.  Google for Education sounds like it is becoming a great hub for educational communication.  If I were in a classroom setting, I would definitely be utilizing it. I could see benefits of using it with a school staff. 

After my Google exploration, I dived into screencasts.  My thought was that this may be a way for me to connect with other professionals to demonstrate how-tos for computer skills. I originally wanted to compare and contrast, but I did not want to commit to purchasing and having to cancel a subscription to one of them. So I took on the free one.  It is harder than it looks.  It took me over 10 takes to get the best 5 minute video.  I learned that there is more you need to know than just easily uploading the video.  Through Jing (the screencast software I took on) it uploads to their own website, you then can access it through the site, which changes the size and display.  Also, I later realized that I could not access the file on my Apple devices because it requires Adobe Flash Player, which is pretty useless considering all of my colleagues utilize Apple devices.  So, I will continue to explore screencasting software and may need to invest in a subscription.

Lastly, I focused my energy on alternative access.  I originally wanted to dive into utilizing IntelliKeys.  This has been on my mind since I saw it in action for the first time in a previous assistive technology class.  However, after much thought, I realized it may be best if I look into iPad access, since most of my colleagues, families I work with, and classrooms I transition my students to use iPads versus computers (not that I agree with that, this is just the reality).  I already have previously looked into alternative access for iPads in a previous assignment, but there are definitely options out there.  I was able to find some a great presentation that included lots of information! It was difficult to come up with a product for this post since I wasn’t using the technology to actually create something, but it was all about access.

The Technology Boot Camp has been very beneficial to me as an educational professional. It has forced me to reflect on my own knowledge of technology and has helped me improve and expand my skills.  I appreciate how it was adaptable and able to be personalized for what is necessary in my line of work.  Most of the basic skills are useful for all professionals. This is a great system for professional development because it can be adapted and individualized to meet the needs for an array of skill sets.  When professionals can set their own goals, they are able to get accomplish what is important to them.  As we have read in our course readings, we learn best when content is meaningful and relevant to our own lives. Why learn about something that we will not need to use?  This has been a great opportunity for me to explore educational technology.  I look  forward to continuing my expedition of educational technology through this blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment