Sunday, March 6, 2016

Skills Set Update E: IntelliKeys and Alternative iPad Access


This week I reviewed information on IntelliKeys and Alternative iPad Access.  IntelliKeys is well known in the assistive technology world as a reliable alternative keyboard for students with complex communication needs and/or motor impairments.   I learned about this keyboard in a previous assistive technology class and wanted to dig deeper.   It comes with premade keyboard overlays.  But you can also create overlays.  With the newer version of IntelliKeys, you simple plug it into the USB port and get going.  The older versions (like the one I dug out of the closet at my school, requires that larger port on the back of a PC).  It is a great tool to use with students practicing writing composition.  Although it would be great to use if I ever work with older students again, I need to focus on my population and decided not to dig too deep.  For those of you who want to dig deeper, check out these videos.
What is IntelliKeys:


IntelliKeys in Use:

IntelliKeys How To:



If you are still interested or already have IntelliKeys and need more ideas, check out  the sharing portal of activities at the Classroom Suite: Activity Exchange website.

The children I work with currently, typically go into classrooms that utilize iPad time.  Therefore, I have turned my focus over to iPad access for students with complex communication needs and/or motor impairments.  Many students on my caseload have motor impairments that prevents them from isolating one finger to activate touch screen devices (like iPads and other tablets).  Earlier this semester we were asked to create a Glogster about a specific Assistive Technology tool, I chose the APPlicator iPad Switch Interface.


There are many other alternative iPad access modes for students to participate in activities.  You can adjust the settings on the iPad for assistive touch allowing multiple fingers/whole hand to activate the device.  There are other blue tooth switches, actual cases like the iAdapter that can be have switches plugged in to access activities.  There is a  great presentation created by an Occupational Therapist named Kristin Leslie, MAT, OTR/L appropriately titled,  Alternative Access Options for the iPad  that I happened to stumble upon that highlights these and other modes of access including the already mentioned assistive touch, as well as joysticks, stylus options, and lots more!

With these alternative access devices you need the right iPad apps.  What good is alternative access if you cannot use it.  You need to know what apps are accessible using switches.  There are a ton out there and they go beyond just cause and effect, they are functional and educational!
HelpKidzLearn is a great place to get alternative access apps that are educational too!

For more Switch Accessible Apps check out the following:

Unfortunately, I was unable to create a product out of these skills since it was more research and review of available alternative access modes.  I planned to create a product out of the IntelliKeys software, however, I was unable to connect my school's existing IntelliKeys Keyboard to my laptop, in the future, I will have to borrow it from my state's Assistive Technology Lending Library MITS.   

My Skill Sets are finally complete for my Educational Technology Course, stay tuned for my completed Skill Checklist & Final Summary!


Talk to you soon,
21st Century SLP



No comments:

Post a Comment